Mind Muscle Connection Is A System Of Training Our Mind To Focus On A Particular Group Of Muscles usually for Strengthening it by Conscious Contraction & Focused Exercises. Mind muscle connection has the ability to create tensions on specific muscles/ regions . Yes it can be used to strengthen certain weak muscles in all individuals through active biochemical messengers sent by the brain to the particular muscle being put in tension.
Biomedical research all over the world is working hard to invent a vaccine against covid 19 . However it will take about a period of 12 -18 months before this is achieved. Until then we will need to take extreme care and follow all guidelines given by who, mohfw,goi and other important health policy makers – mask, social distancing , hand washing . Good oral hygiene is very important as the virus spreads mainly through the mouth and also through nose and eyes.
We have to remember that no one is able to tell when this situation will be eased so we have to be prepared for a delay before the schools reopen and normal functioning starts .Hence the coach/ SO programs/ doctors have to talk to the parents and caregivers to:
5. Through an example can you demonstrate Inclusion in Health Care ?
In a Dental Operatory, when the Athletes walk in, we have to take so much care. On the first day , in many instances, we can’t put the child on the dental chair. We have a process called Dental Home. It is a process of acclimatizing the Athlete to the surrounding environment. It encourages the child to sit around, feel comfortable and safe. This could lead him/her to go upto the dental chair on his/her own. The time taken for this process may differ from one Athlete to the other.
This also gives a gratification that you have met the challenges around that one Athlete and have adapted with patience, dedication and with a belief that this would happen.
6. How can you explain Nutrition to the Athletes?
We can present videos as well as show pictures of a balanced diet, the food pyramid, the sources of protein etc. It can be done in fun and play way method like we do during the Healthy Athletes screenings.
7. As we all are aware, the maximum number of Special Olympics Athletes belong to a low economic group but are concerned about their fitness. Could you suggest a suitable and easily accessible diet plan for them, especially during the lockdown period
.A good balanced diet can comprise of
* Cereal pulse mix foods like khichdi, idli. Addition of vegetables and groundnuts in khichdi is recommended.
* Locally available millets – rahi, jowar, bajra should be encouraged. Combination of cereals can help.
It’s a myth that high cost foods are more nutritious. Go for local, seasonal foods.
Inputs for Qs 6 & 7 have been provided by :
Dr. Manisha Vyas (M.Sc., B.Ed., Ph.D- Applied Nutrition) & Clinical Director- Health Promotion,Special Olympics