Special Olympics Bharat is a Charitable Trust registered under the Indian Trust Act 1882 using sports as a catalyst to transform the lives of children and adults with Intellectual Disability.
Special Olympics Bharat trust registration number is 6386/IV/1556 dated 19 July 2001 . It is based in Delhi and operates throughout India.
A. In 2001 Special Olympics Bharat was accredited with Special Olympic Inc. Washington, USA as INDIA PROGRAM. SO Bharat conducts Sports, Health and Inclusive Youth Engagement programs all over India.
B. Special Olympics Bharat was recognized as National Sports Federation in Priority Category by Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India on 18 January 2006 for development of Sports for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities especially in rural areas which accounts for 75% of population with disabilities in India. (More details see separate link on the MYAS website)
Special Olympics Bharat was designated a NODAL AGENCY from 2010 to 2016 for all Disabilities on account of its national presence and experience.
STRENGTH as on 31/Dec/ 2019
A. Registered Athletes and Coaches through SO Bharat trust program
- Young Athletes (Age 2 to 7 years) 3,29,812
- Traditional Special Athletes (Age 8 above) 14,21,126
- Coaches (For Young Athletes) 28,277
- Coaches (For Traditional Special Athletes) 1,21,569
- Trainer 7,186
- Volunteers 91,968
- Families 2,71,926
- B. Organizing Training & Competitions for Athletes & Coaches
- District 727
- States 37
- National 1
- International (Every 4th year) 1
- World Summer Games Years 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2019
- World Winter Games Years 2005,2009, 2013, 2017,